Healthy Backyard BBQ Recipes You Need to Try This Summer
It’s time to take your outdoor cooking and dining up a notch! Whether you have a Big Green Egg or a top-of-the-line outdoor kitchen, you’re bound to want to try new recipes from time to time. We have gathered a variety of simple and healthy recipes that can be created with the help of your outdoor BBQ or smoker. From burgers and ribs, to options for vegetarians and more, take a look at these healthy backyard BBQ recipes that you need to try this summer.
Country-Style BBQ Ribs
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp hot pepper sauce
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke
- 4 lbs country-style pork ribs
- Combine ketchup, molasses, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, mustard, hot sauce and liquid smoke in a small bowl.
- Add pork ribs to a slow cooker, then pour 1 cup of the sauce on top and save the rest for later. Cover and cook on high heat for 6 hours or low heat for 9 hours.
- Lastly, remove the ribs from the slow cooker, brush with leftover sauce and then enjoy.
Classic Veggie Burgers
- 2 tbsp finely chopped carrot
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red pepper
- 2 tbsp frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup cooked beans and rice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 small whole grain buns
- 6 small lettuce leaves
- 6 tomato slices
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tsp honey mustard
- Add 1 tbsp water, carrots, red pepper and corn to a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with wax paper and microwave on high for two minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Place beans and rice in a bowl, then stir and mash with a fork. Add cooked vegetables and egg yolk, and then with wet hands, measure 1 tbsp of mixture and form into balls. Next, roll in bread crumbs and flatten into patties.
- Place on your BBQ or smoker and cook on medium heat, for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Place on buns and serve with lettuce, tomato and a dip made of stirred yogurt and honey mustard. Enjoy!
Grilled Corn with Lime Butter
- 4 ears fresh corn, husks attached
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tsp grated lime zest
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Make the lime butter: combine butter, chives, parsley, dill, lime zest and juice, salt, and pepper within a blender, and then puree until the mixture is smooth. Pour the mixture onto a sheet of plastic wrap and shape into small bars, then refrigerate until you’re ready to use.
- Heat your grill to medium-high heat. Peel corn husks down to the bottom, but do not remove completely. Rinse the corn under water and then place on the grill. Grill for about 13 minutes, turning every few minutes.
- Serve immediately with the lime butter. Any extra lime butter can be re-wrapped in plastic wrap and saved for up to a week.
Southwest Chicken and Veggie Foil Packets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 package baby potatoes, sliced in half
- ½ red, yellow and green pepper, diced
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cilantro, salsa and sour cream to serve
- Chicken marinade
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup passion fruit condiment
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- Pre-heat your BBQ to medium-high heat. Combine ingredients for the chicken marinade and let it sit for 10 minutes. While the marinade is marinating, add vegetables, potatoes, olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, and seasoning salt to a bowl and mix.
- Create four foil packets with tin foil and add chicken and vegetables to each. Spread a little marinade over the chicken. Create foil covers for each packet, cover and then cook on your BBQ for 20-25 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat, uncover and top with cheese. Place the cover back on and let it sit for 3-4 minutes, or until the cheese is evenly melted. Serve with cilantro, salsa and sour cream, enjoy!
Legends Landscape Supply
Is it time to start cooking in the comfort of your backyard space? Get in touch with our experts at Legends Landscape Supply today. We have a selection of BBQs and smokers from the following industry-leading brands:
- Lion Premium Grills
- Primo® Grills and Smokers
- Crown Verity
- Big Green Egg®
For more information about our grills, BBQs, outdoor appliances, and outdoor kitchens for sale, contact us today. We even have an assortment of BBQ island kits for you to choose from! No matter what it takes to bring your outdoor cooking and dining experience to life, our experts at Legends Landscape Supply are here to help.